Dear Friends, Colleagues and Clients,
I am writing a book…
My hope is this book will become a must-read guide for you and other business executives who are committed to growing and developing their businesses, themselves and their next generation of leaders. It is a distillation of more than 20 years of my hands-on experience including:
- Serving as CFO/COO for a business we quickly grew to over $1 billion dollars in annual revenues and eventually sold:
- Personally interviewing thousands of business executives about how they grew their businesses and the difficulties they faced;
- Spending years in one-on-one meetings with hundreds of CEO’s, counseling them on issues they could not share with anyone else;
- Sitting on and chairing several high-profile boards of directors;
- Numerous successes that emerged out of what were initially BIG and PAINFUL failures;
- Building a thriving coaching practice focused on helping business leaders take their company and themselves to the next level; and
- Reading everything I could get my hands on about business growth and successful leadership.
My goal is to help you maintain (or rekindle) the excitement and optimism for passionately pursuing your dreams and make a difference in your business and the lives of those you impact in your professional career.
This book is meant to guide you toward becoming a leader your colleagues will admire and to provide a legacy to which others will aspire. I’m including true stories and case studies that will inspire you by demonstrating what has — and, just as importantly —what has not worked for other leaders.
Yes, you can grow your business without learning everything the hard way… And, finally, through this book I hope to show you how to take your business to the next level and generate a new kind of wealth that is far more satisfying than money alone.
DESCRIPTION OF THE BOOK
I have always been fascinated about what makes a business work. Why are some businesses hugely profitable and stable, while others fight the same battles day after day and month after month, only to level out in their profitable growth and never reach their full potential? What, exactly, do successful companies and the people who lead them do differently?
As much as I thought I would find very complex and difficult to understand strategies, I discovered just the opposite. It’s all about recognizing and dealing what turn out to be Overly Obvious and Embarrassingly Simple root causes. I have come to recognize significant, predictable patterns that are true for every business. Although the way your business grows is unique to your situation, the challenges that growth itself presents are common to all. And while you cannot always prevent these completely normal patterns and crisis points, you can take a variety of very simple steps to carry your company through each challenge with success and stability.
How You will be able to Use this Book
1. Start by reading about The Business Life Cycle™, noting the survival and growth characteristics and the profitability strategies that describe businesses at Levels I, II and III. Decide where your business falls on The Business Life Cycle™.
2. Review The Top 12 Warning Signs of Success™. Study the Overly Obvious and Embarrassingly Simple root causes that relate to the challenges your business is facing. Be honest with yourself, and listen to your intuition (even if you don’t completely like what you hear). Which of these signs may be present in your business?
3. Answer all the Business Self-Assessment Questions. Again, be honest with yourself. Speaking the truth is the first step toward improving the situation.
4. Pay special attention to the Case Studies interspersed throughout the book to understand what has worked for other leaders in the same situation.
5. Start a conversation with your leadership team and your employees about what needs to be done to revitalize the business. Honor them with the same honesty and compassion that you gave to yourself, recognizing their contributions in the past and knowing that change alone can be the biggest challenge for many of your people.
Issues this Book will Address
The Business Life Cycle™ — analogous to climbing Mt. Everest
- Understand why it is critical that you know exactly where your business is on The Business Life Cycle™.
- Learn why the solutions and systems you implement today eventually sow the seed of decay as your company grows.
- Learn how to abandon past practices and to implement the systems needed to grow profitably to the next level.
- Learn to recognize the Overly Obvious and Embarrassingly Simple root causes behind the challenges your business must overcome.
- See through the confusion to understand the obvious and simple causes – you will wonder why you never saw them before!
- Understand how you can make the necessary changes to scale you business through the critical inflection points that every business encounters.
- Learn how to make big changes with honesty, fairness and stability.
- Learn from other people’s efforts by reading case studies.
Business Self-Assessment Questions
- Clearly identify the current realities of your business as well as your future goals.
- Understand how to move from where you are to where you want to be.
Take the Deep Dive into Leadership – How Other Leaders Keep it R.E.A.L.
- Gain inspiration and insight from thousands of business executives, business leaders, church leaders, coaches, athletes and other people facing the same challenges you face.
- Learn how other leaders grew and developed their organizations and the difficulties they faced by reading case studies.
- Understand the undenaible trends that the all successful leaders use to transform their businesses, themselves and their next generation of leaders.
PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT at I am writing a book. Thank you for your time and thoughtful consideration of my work in progress!