If you missed the first episode with Anthony Bucci, co-founder and former CEO of RevZilla, be sure to listen now. He explains how he and his co-founders scaled RevZilla from an idea to over $140 million in revenue without raising any outside money. Today, we shift gears to talk about people – hiring, leading and managing.
Anthony is a self-proclaimed nerd when it comes to people issues. In this episode, he will challenge your thinking on hiring, leading and managing. He’ll give you a powerful concept we recommend our portfolio companies: the 5-15. Anthony mastered keeping signal strength throughout the business, and he explains in great detail how and why you should use a 5-15 with every direct report.
Anthony also shares about how he debugs his own psychology by utilizing mentors, board members, and outside executive coaches.
Other Topics from Today’s episode include:
- When you need to start obsessing about hiring the best people
- Your role as a leader in hiring and how that changes from the start-up phase to the scale-up phase
- How long should you expect new hires to perform before you worry about the company outgrowing them?
- What’s more important: cultural fit or ability?
- How to measure cultural fit – in an interview and beyond
- The importance of measuring output for each new hire
- The danger of hiring someone that is not a cultural fit
- How to use the 4 Magic numbers to balance happy employees, raving customers, revenue and profit
- Why you should have counterbalance measures you should obsess about
- How to keep your employees engaged by using the 5:15 format
- What should be part of a performance review
- When to lean in with direct reports vs. when to let them stub their toe
- Why Anthony used three different CEO coaches during his tenure at RevZilla
- What he used the different CEO coaches for along the growth journey
- How to think about an external coach vs. informal mentors and friends
- The importance of having someone to debug your psychology
We spent over 2 hours with Anthony covering a wide variety of topics. To break down the episodes into digestible bites, we’ve broken up our interview into two parts:
- Episode 1: You’ll hear the process Anthony and his co-founders used to start and generate the idea for the company that became RevZilla. Anthony also goes into great detail about how they differentiated themselves and quickly scaled from $0 to over $140 million in annual revenues. Anthony shares why and how they achieved hyper-growth without raising money.
- Episode 2 (Today’s Episode): Anthony’s provides specific details of how they approached promoting and hiring, ahead of scale. He offers insights and lessons learned about how to scale people, processes and product – before everything breaks. He also shares what how he utilizes executive coaches, mentors and advisors.
- Zappos Book: Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose
- Anthony’s Bucci Blog
- Anthony Bucci’s Blog Post about Coaching: How to get the most from your executive coach
- Traction Book